How to care for your Fountain Pen
Basic care and maintenance tips for your Fountain Pen:
- Do not allow ink to dry out in the nib, as this will reduce and eventually stop the flow of ink.
- Wash the nib occasionally after use as follows: Remove the ink cartridge then hold the nib under lukewarm running water. Dry it carefully with paper tissue. You can also remove the nib and feed for better cleaning, if your pen has removable nib. Please see further instructions on this if you are a beginner.
- Use proper size ink cartridges/converter.
- Take extra care if you use waterproof or pigmented inks, frequent cleaaning is needed.
- Do not drop or knock your pen against a hard surface. To avoid accidental damage, replace the cap after use.
- Always carry a fountain pen with the nib pointing upwards.
Hints and tips to encourage ink flow in any Fountain pen:
- Ensure the cartridge/converter is pushed firmly up into place.
- To encourage the ink to come down to the nib: hold the pen vertically with the tip of the nib pointing down over scrap paper and tap the tip of the nib repeatedly on the paper for up to 25 seconds until the ink comes through.
- If the pen does not start to write after this you can also try squeezing the cartridge gently and carefully over scrap paper until the ink comes down to the nib! Take care as there is danger some might spill!If you do create a blob of ink on the paper you can dip the nib into this to encourage flow.
- Use a tissue paper to touch the tip of nib, the paper will try drawing inks through the nib.
- Clean the nib and feed thoroughly, and change the cartridge/ink if none of the above works.
How to Clean a Fountain Pen:
Please check out this video to learn more about cleaning your fountain pen.
How to remove your Fountain Pen nib for Cleaning / Replacing:
You may need to remove your fountain pen nib for cleaning purpose, or to exchange it with other nibs. There are pen models which nibs are exchangable. But Please mind, not all pen nibs are easy to remove, please consult with us first, if you are not sure what you are doing. This video will show you how to remove/ replace nibs from some Pilot pens.